Steam cooked with Basmati Rice
Irresistibly fluffy and deliciously yummieliciouz! Perfect for parties and festive seasons.
Serves 10 Cooks in 45 mins (+ prep) Difficulty: super easy with this video
2 cups basmati rice (Asli golden)
2 cups of liquid stock (chicken & beef liquid stock), seasoned
1 stock cube
For mixed veg
1 cooking spoon of cooking oil (coconut oil)1 small sized red onion
Carrot, green beans, garden peas, asparagus, spring Onions, sweet corn
Bell peppers (red, green & yellow)
1 red scotch bonnet
1 bay leaf
1 tsp of mixed herbs
1 stock cube
1 tsp of curry powder
(watch the video above from start to finish for step-by-step preparation)
1. Add 2 cup liquid stock - broth, 1 bay leaf and bring to a boil on medium heat.
2. Put 2 cups basmati rice in a bow or sieve, rinse thoroughly to remove the starch, repeat the same process until the water is clear and set aside.
3. Add rinsed rice and 1 stock cube to the boiling liquid stock. Stir until well incorporated. Cover with a lid and cook on low heat for 15-20 minutes until tender. Cooking time and water absorption will depend on the type of rice, so keep checking it and add water if needed.
4. Heat 1 cooking spoon coconut oil in a woke or deep pan on medium heat. Add 1 diced red onion, finely chopped scotch bonnet. Fry for 2 minutes.
5. Add diced cooked kidney (or any uncooked meat or sea food of your choice - optional). Stir gently and fry for 4 minutes until browned.
6. Add diced fresh carrots, frozen garden peas, fresh chopped garden beans, chopped fresh asparagus, 1 tsp mixed herbs, 1 tsp curry powder, 1 stock cube and half tsp sea salt. Stir fry for 2 minutes. Stir in diced fresh mixed (red, green & yellow) bell peppers and chopped fresh spring onions. Mix until well incorporated.
7. Add cooked rice and stir until they are well combined.
8. Garnish with yellow sweet corn (optional) and simmer for 5 minutes on very low heat.