Chicken Pie RecipE |
Nigerian Chicken Pie
Ridiculously rich and warming tender chicken covered with crusty pastry! The ultimate everyday or picnic snacks. This Chicken pie is satisfying in taste.
1tbsp coconut oil
1 diced medium sized onion
1 clove garlic (chopped)
Chunks of chicken (2 chicken drumstick & 2 thigh, 1 diced medium sized onion, 1 clove garlic (chopped), a pinch oregano, a pinch turmeric, 1/2 tsp salt & 2 Knorr stock cubes)
1 diced carrot
1 diced potato
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp mixed herbs
1 Knorr stock cube
1 cooking spoon chicken liquid stock
Thickener (mixture of 1 tbsp plain flour and 1 cup water)
Puff pastry dough:
500g plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
A pinch salt
1 tsp of Nutmeg (optional)
100g butter / Margarine
200ml cold water (add bit by bit)
1 egg (for sealing & brushing of pie)
(watch the video above from start to finish for step-by-step preparation)
1. To make the pastry, in a large clean dry mixing bowl, add 500g plain flour, 1/2 tsp baking powder, a pinch salt, 1 tsp nutmeg (optional) and 100g butter. Now use your hand (or a mixer or food processor) to mix the dry ingredients and the butter until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs. Add 200g cold water bit by bit and mix it in until you get a firm dough. Place the dough in a mixing bowl, cover with a cling film and keep refrigerated until it is needed later.
2. In a mixing bowl, add some raw soft chicken (2 drum stick and 2 thigh) and season with 1 sliced onion, 1 chopped garlic, 2 stock cubes, 1 tbsp mixed herbs, 1/2 tsp curry powder, a pinch paprika, a pinch turmeric, a pinch of oregano and sprinkle in 1/2 tsp sea salt to taste.
3. Mix thoroughly until well incorporated. Cover the mixing bowl with a cling film and place in a fridge for 2 hour or over night - the longer, the tastier.
4. Transfer the marinated chicken into a pot over medium heat and cook for 15 - 20 minutes or until tender.
5. Place a woke or pot on medium heat, add 1 tbsp coconut oil (or any oil of your choice) and leave to heat up. Add 1 chopped onion, finely chopped garlic, cooked soft chicken chunks, diced carrots, diced potatoes, 1/2 tsp curry powder, tsp mixed herbs, 1 stock cube, 1 cooking spoon chicken liquid stock. Cover the woke with a lid and leave to cook for 5 minutes or until the carrot and potatoes become tender.
6. Add a tbsp plain flour and some water, mix well until it is lump-free. This mixture serves as a thickener for the filling.
7. After 5 minutes of cooking the filling, stir in the thickener (flour & water mixture) and mix gently until well combined. Leave to simmer for 3 minutes.
8. Place the whole pastry dough on a lightly floured work surface (or cut into 8 pieces) and use a rolling pin to roll it out to your prefer thickness. Then use a lid of a rectangular plastic container (or similar) as a guide to cut around the pastry edges.
9. Whisk 1 egg and set aside for later
10. Next, place a spoon of the filling at the centre of the pastry. Using a pastry brush, wet the pastry edges with whisked egg and carefully bring one side of the pastry over to join the other side, tucking in the filling to keep it inside as you do so. Press the joins together with your fingers to seal, then make a decorative edge by pressing the edges with the back of a wet fork.
11. Repeat with the remaining pastry and filling. Place each chicken on the baking sheet or lightly buttered tray, then pierce the top of each pie using a fork for the steam to escape. Then brush a little of the whisked egg over each pasty to glaze.
12. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Bake for 30 - 35 mins until the pie is slightly golden. Remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly.
It can be served hot or warm or at room temperature or cold ...